Stop what you’re doing and bake this banana bread now. Crispy on the outside, moist inside, dense yet fluffy, spiced and chocolate-chip packed, this banana bread is everything and more.
The bread is heavenly, and the recipe is ridiculously simple and quick.
We have Terry Snyder to thank for her original recipe (passed down to her from her mother Meme) which inspired the creation of this one. Her recipe is particularly special because Terry and her family are long-time committed Pan-Mass Challenge riders and traditionally bake banana bread to thank those who have helped them raise tens of thousands of dollars for Dana-Farber Cancer Institute over the years. This bread is fitness, food, giving, passion, and dedication all kneaded together (pun absolutely intended).
Let’s get cookin’.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Baking time: 50 minutes
- 2c sifted cake flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- ¼ tsp nutmeg (optional)
- ½ c butter (unsalted)
- ¾ c granulated sugar
- ¾ c packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 c mashed bananas
- ½ c buttermilk
- ¾ c Trader Joe’s chocolate chips (plus extra to sprinkle on top)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease bread loaf (8½″ x 4½″x 2½″). An 8 in spring form pan may be used in absence of bread loaf.
2. Mix and sift flour, soda, spices and salt in small bowl.
3. Cream butter and sugar until smooth, fluffy, and blended well.
4. Beat in eggs and flavoring.
5. Add flour mixture alternating with buttermilk.
6. Stir in chocolate chips by hand. Turn mixture into greased pan. Sprinkle more chocolate chips on top.
7. Place in oven and bake for 50 minutes or until done (toothpick exits bread with moist crumb).
Still hungry? Look no further:
- 5 Minute Hummus
- Protein-Packed Pumpkin Gnocchi
- This Type of Exercise Drastically Improves Brain Structure and Function